Yeong Sek Yee & Khadijah Shaari
The above is the title of Chapter 1 of the book RADICAL REMISSION (released March 2014) by Dr Kelly A. Turner, PhD, a researcher and psychotherapist who specializes in integrative oncology. In her doctoral research of over a thousand cases of Radical Remission – people who have defied a serious or even terminal cancer diagnosis – Dr Turner found very similar factors that nearly every Radical Remission survivor employed to defy the overwhelming diagnosis of cancer. The most important factor that consistently comes up over and over again is radically changing one’s diet in order to help heal cancer. What’s more, the majority of the people that Dr Turner studied all tend to make the same 4 dietary changes. They are:
- Greatly reducing or eliminating sugar, meat, dairy, and refined foods.
- Greatly increasing vegetables and fruit intake.
- Eating organic foods.
- Drinking filtered water.
Much has been researched and written about this radical change in diet and how it has benefitted cancer patients. The first major heading in this chapter is NO SWEETS, NO MEAT, NO DAIRY, and NO REFINED FOODS. This is very much in line with the recommendations of integrative oncologists/doctors like Dr Keith Block MD, Dr John Forsythe MD, Dr Russell Blaylock, MD and cancer survivors like Prof Jane Plant, Dr Anthony Sattilaro MD, Dr Lorraine Day, MD and Dr David Servan-Schreiber, MD. There are just too many to include in this short article.
For this article we shall not delve into the details of the radical diet that Dr Turner has uncovered but suffice to just mention the main points to jolt your memory again: –
- Sugar just feeds the cancer,
- Dairy products are cancer promoting,
- Casein, the main protein in cow’s milk, makes cancer cells grow,
- Scientific studies have linked regular consumption of meat to many types of cancer,
- Refined foods, especially refined grains…have a very high glycemic index….this give cancer cells plenty of glucose to feed on and also creates high insulin levels in the blood… another condition strongly linked to cancer
On the other end of the spectrum, Dr Turner found that Radical Remission survivors ate a lot of vegetables and fruits…in fact; the cancer survivors who ate lots of vegetables and exercised regularly lived twice as long. Vegetables and fruits provide the human body with everything it needs: vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fiber, glucose, protein, and even healthy fats.
In the Chapter, Dr Turner shared the leading stories of Ginni and John when they were faced with breast and prostate cancer respectively by using the above 4 strategies to heal their cancer. There are many more survivors who have done it using a similar radical change in diet. Some of those are:
a) Prof Jane Plant—Breast Cancer
b) Dr Anthony Sattilaro—Prostate Cancer
c) Barry Thomson—Melanoma and Colon Cancer
d) Ian Gawler—Osteosarcoma
e) Dr Lorraine Day—Breast Cancer
Concluding Remarks by Dr Kelly Turner
After researching thousands of Radical Remission cases, Dr Turner is thoroughly convinced that….”Hippocrates was absolutely right: FOOD IS MEDICINE. Eating more organic vegetables and fruits while eliminating sugar, meat, dairy and refined food products can only help your body to heal – and in fact, it may turn out to be the only medicine you need. Hippocrates believed that healthy food and water should be the first medicine given, and surgery and drugs should only be used as absolute last resorts. Two thousand years later, we have somehow managed to turn that order on its head: now we first look to medications and surgery to heal our sick bodies, instead of the powerful medicine we already take three times a day: our food.”
The above statement by Dr Turner reminds us of an ancient Chinese proverb which very aptly describe the above concluding remarks: –
“One quarter of what you eat on your plate keep you alive…the other three quarters keep the doctors alive”
Have you changed your diet radically?
If you would like to read further on how your diet can enhance your radical remission, we recommend the following books written by medical doctors, a Professor of Nutrition and a cancer survivor.
1) ANTI-CANCER A NEW WAY OF LIFE by Dr David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD who was a clinical professor of psychiatry and co-founder of the Center for Integrative Medicine. He passed away in 2011 – after 19 years with brain tumour. Was it Radical Remission? (Read Chapter 8: The Anti-Cancer Foods…in fact, we recommend that you read the whole book)
2) LIFE OVER CANCER by Dr Keith I. Block, MD, Director of Integrative Medical Education at the University of Illinois College of Medicine and Medical Director of the Block Center for Integrative Cancer Treatment in Evanston, Illinois. (Read Chapter 4: The Anti-Cancer Diet and Chapter 5: The Life Over Cancer Core Diet Plan).
3) NATURAL STRATEGIES FOR CANCER PATIENTS by Dr Russell Blaylock, MD and a board-certified neurosurgeon and formerly the Professor of Neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi. (Read the whole book–it is all about nutrition and cancer and also valuable information on how chemotherapy is poisoning you and how radiotherapy is burning you–to death).
4) THE CHINA STUDY by Dr T. Colin Campbell, PhD, who was the Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University. (Read the whole book to understand why nutrients from animal-based foods increase tumor development while nutrients from plant-based foods decrease tumor development.)
5) YOU CAN CONQUER CANCER, A NEW WAY OF LIVING by Dr Ian Gawler, a veterinarian and decathlon athlete before his diagnosis, is Australia’s most “notorious” cancer patient and radical remission survivor. (Read Chapters 11-14 to find out that although diet may not be the total answer to cancer, but without a good diet, there is no answer).
There are lots of other such books written by oncologists/doctors/cancer researchers/survivors, etc. However, if you choose to follow the advice of our Malaysian “apa pun boleh oncologists/doctors,” you can only dream of the possibility of a radical remission.
The choice is yours.
You must be logged in to post a comment.