by Yeong Sek Yee & Khadijah Shaari
Who is Hayley Mills? If you are in your 6-series (in life) you would probably have heard about her. Hayley Mills began her acting career at the age of 12, starring alongside her father John Mills in “Tiger Bay” and at 14; she appeared in “The Parent Trap” and then “Whistle Down in the Wind” in 1961. Her later film “Pollyanna” in 1960 brought her to fame and she was awarded the last juvenile Oscar.
Below is a short story of her encounter with double breast cancer…yes she had cancer on both breasts.
In April 2008, Hayley Mills was diagnosed with breast cancer on both breasts on her 62nd birthday, but she chose to keep her illness private. After undergoing several tests and biopsies, the Pollyana actress had surgery but refused radiation therapy.
However she was persuaded to start a course of chemotherapy which she did. Subsequently, after 3 sessions she decided to quit chemo and decided to seek an alternative route. Hayley admitted that she found the chemo treatment more daunting than the actual disease. In December, 2012, she revealed why she decided to quit chemotherapy:
“It made me feel awful…I was more frightened of the chemo than the cancer…I could feel it (the chemo) draining me and killing me. I felt I was dying”
Four years later from that traumatic time, she explained how, despite turning down chemo, she is happy and cancer-free. Hayley, now 66, credits her survival to the alternative treatments she used to heal her body. She changed her diet and cut out foods that “feeds the cancer” including sugar, dairy and acid creating foods. And she also embarked on a serious course of exercise and meditation.
In an interview with Mirror (UK), Hayley explained that “a tremendous amount of healing is in your hands. What you can do to boost your immune system and what you can do to keep your mind, body and soul healthy and positive is important”
Hayley also did caution that her decision to go the alternative route may not be for everybody, but there are some fantastic, brilliant doctors out there…and, it doesn’t make sense that there is only one way of dealing with cancer.
If you would like to read more why Hayley Mills quit chemotherapy, just visit the following links:
1) ARTICLE : “I felt I was dying”: Hayley Mills on why she quit chemotherapy as she battled cancer Link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hayley-mills-why-i-quit-chemotherapy-as-she-battled-1505199#ixzz2mayENo2p
2) ARTICLE: My secret triumph over breast cancer by actress Hayley Mills Link: http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/293433/My-secret-triumph-over-breast-cancer-by-actress-Hayley-Mills
3) ARTICLE : ‘I could feel it killing me’: Hayley Mills reveals how she beat double breast cancer after quitting chemotherapy LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2253271/Hayley-Mills-reveals-beat-breast-cancer-quitting-chemotherapy.html#ixzz30qISjH6B
4) ARTICLE: Hayley Mills describes secret battle with breast cancer LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/8989623/Hayley-Mills-describes-secret-battle-with-breast-cancer.html
5) ARTICLE:Hayley Mills quit chemo, used nutrition and alternative therapies to heal breast cancer in 2009 LINK: http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/hayley-mills-quit-chemo-used-nutrition-alternative-therapies-to-heal-breast-cancer/
If you would like to read the story of Sally Baker, a charity volunteer who did not opt for chemotherapy even after a double breast mastectomy, just visit the following link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2459756/Ive-refused-chemo-breast-cancer-gain-isnt-worth-pain-After-double-mastectomy-woman-defends-hugely-controversial-choice.html
You must be logged in to post a comment.