Mark (not his real name) is 26 years old. On Thursday 10 February 2022, he met up with his cousins for dinner at his family home in Kuala Lumpur.
Three days later, Sunday 13 February 2022, Mark was down with the following symptoms:
- High fever.
- Terrible headache.
- Aches throughout his whole body.
- Blocked nose.
- Cold sweat and occasional chills.
There was no sore throat. And he was also able to sleep.
Khadijah (Mark’s auntie) sent him a package of herbal tea to help him with these problems.
15 February: Mark started to take the herbal tea. This was on the third day after his symptoms showed up.
16 February: On Wednesday evening, Mark called me from Ipoh. He told me he had caught Covid-19 and had taken the herbal tea twice. He felt better. In fact after the second day on the herbs his health was almost back to normal.
17 February: I received a call from Yeong in the evening and was informed that Mark was doing fine and was working around the house! He even managed to catch a large cobra that had slithered into the house compound!
Let me complete this story by asking Mark some questions:
- How many of you were at the dinner?
There were 12 of us having a small reunion dinner. Out of the 12, four of us were vaccinated with 2 doses of Sinovac (my cousin Jack, 2 others and myself) and the rest had three doses, some AZ, some Sinovac (booster shot).
My cousin Jack had caught the virus from an unknown source. On that night, he passed it to me. We were the only ones to have caught the virus. Thankfully, everyone else tested negative including my high risk parents.
2. All of them were your relatives?
Everyone that was present at the dinner are family members.
3. Did anyone at that dinner realize/know that he/she was infected with Covid-19?
Obviously not, no one was aware. My cousin Jack had his symptoms appear the very next day after the dinner. He had fevers, chills and a really terrible ulcerated sore throat which impacted his ability to eat and even talk. He notified everyone about his troubles and took an RTK Covid-19 Test. He was tested positive. He proceeded to self quarantine and called in a doctor to attend to his Covid-19 troubles.
4. Where was the dinner – home or restaurant?
We had dinner at my parents house in Kuala Lumpur. I left for Ipoh right after dinner that night.
5. Two days after the dinner you were down with Covid?
I started to have Covid-19 symptoms on the 3rd day after the dinner. It started when I woke up on that Sunday morning. I was feeling really terrible and immediately knew something was not right
6. Did you do any test to confirm if it was indeed Covid?
I went through multiple RTK tests which all turned out negative. I decided to go for a drive thru PCR test at BP healthcare which indicated I was positive for Covid.
7. Did you go and see any doctor? If so, any medication by doctor? What did the doctor say?
I consumed 1000MG of Vitamin C daily and took some Panadol Actifast to tackle the fever. Do note I am Vaccinated with 2 doses.
8. Two days with all these symptoms, how would you describe your condition? Bad? Just mild problem? Nothing to worry about?
I had a terribly high fever, up to 39.8°C. I had terrible body aches and a really bad headache. There were times when I felt chills and cold sweat, had slight nausea and even diarrhea. All of which subsided slowly over time.
9. After taking the herbal tea, you got better. Did all the symptoms disappear totally?
I took the herbal tea on the 3rd day of the onset of my symptoms.. I felt the herbal tea helped and my symptoms started to disappear.
10. Did you still suffer “long Covid” symptoms — such as lack of energy, lingering pain here and there, headache, poor memory, etc.
I do get the occasional feeling of heavy breathing – like a weight on my chest but it is subsiding. It has been nine days since my symptoms showed up. I have no more fever, no more blocked nose, no more chills and no more diarrhea. I feel almost normal once again.
11. How do you described your health now?
I would say I am 95% of where I was before I got the virus. I am confident I am going to be able to have a 100% recovery. It is amazing to know it’s been less than 10 days since I fell sick and I am almost back to full health.
Some Facts for Your to Chew On
1. For the past two years we all were living in fear. We were told that a dreadful Covid pandemic had killed many people. Is such fear warranted? Or is this Covid just another version of a more serious type of flu?
2. Why was this deadly fear instilled into us?
The reality is, after two years facing Covid, many countries are opening up despite the rise of Covid cases. Are we tired? Fed-up?
The lockdown, the movement control etc, etc. did not seem to bring the Covid cases down! But the fear for Covid seems to have subsided. Life is becoming normal again despite of the fact that there are 25,099 new Covid cases today!
3. The good news is that you don’t just “drop dead” if you happen to get infected with Covid-19. Mark’s story is one of the many proofs we have that make life more bearable and enable us to carry on with our daily activities.
4. There is another “good news”. In case you are infected with Covid-19, you have a choice of two paths to take:
a) You can take a very fanciful expensive ride out of your problem by taking super expensive covid pills offered by the drug companies.
- Merck came out with Molnupiravir, an anti-Covid pill. It cost US$700 or RM2,925 for a five-day course of treatment. One course of the treatment lasts five days, with four capsules taken twice a day for a total of 40 pills.
- The COVID-19 pill, Paxlovid by Pfizer is cheaper! It is priced at US$530 per course .. that is MR2,215.
So for those who like to spend and want to feel “safe”, there is nothing to worry! Just go for an expensive joy ride!
b) Fortunately for those poor people in the developing countries, if you don’t have that kind of money to splurge, there is another way out. You can take a “donkey ride” out of this problem. Take herbs for your flu or Covid problems like Mark did.
I call this a “donkey ride” because it is not made to be fanciful. It is a poor man’s way of taking care of his health – using the knowledge that is handed down by his forefathers when life was still hard and primitive.
But the good news is – this donkey ride will take you to the same destination — equally safe, equally fast (or even faster) at the price of peanuts (or bananas)!
Mark took 2 glass of the herbal tea that cost him less than RM25. Compare that to RM2,000 to RM3,000 price tag if you were to take that fanciful journey offered, promoted and sanctioned by those with Vested Interests.
Let me end by asking you to read this article by William Haseltine, Anti-Covid Drugs Are Coming, But At What Cost? https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/10/08/anti-covid-drugs-are-coming-but-at-what-cost/?sh=2285439077a1
- A debate is raging over the cost of drugs in the United States and around the world. For at least three billion people in India and China, drug costs are determined by the manufacturing price, plus a modest market profit for suppliers and pharmaceutical wholesalers and retailers. Not so in the more “regulated markets” of North America and Europe.
- My own investigation of multiple India suppliers puts the manufacturing cost of the raw material for molnupiravir (pill by Merck) …. at about $2.50 dollars a treatment. The total price per treatment in the non-regulated markets will be no more than $20, factoring in the cost of manufacturing the pill, and a modest profit for all the intermediaries between the manufacturer and the patient. That is 35 times less than the Merck/Ridgeback government price, which is about $700.
Horray, for those who have the money, enjoy your expensive ride! In life, sometimes we need some thrills and fun.
- WASHINGTON: Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna are making combined profits of US$65,000 every minute from their highly successful Covid-19 vaccines. (https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2021/11/745882/pfizer-biontech-moderna-making-us1000-profit-every-second-analysis). Thank you for your contribution!
For the poor, living in the developing countries, I am glad to say that there is still hope, if you know how to wake up and see the reality of today’s greedy world.
Don’t worry, if you don’t have money, take this cheap, donkey ride! That is, if you are prepared to know, learn and believe.
You must be logged in to post a comment.